In addition to a specially formulated Premix which contains essential vitamins and minerals for a calf’s requirements, good health and growth is promoted by Probiotics and an anticoccidial.
A complex carbohydrate derived from the cell wall of selected yeast strains. Bio-Mos has proven of excellent assistance in newborn diets because it strengthens Gastro-Intestinal tract defensive mechanism by:
- Blocking Colonisation of Pathogens – these must first bind and colonise the intestinal epithelium. Pathogens including E.Coli and Salmonella strains attach to the intestine via fimbria consisting of mannose bearing lectin Bio-Mos added to the diet supplies mannan to occupy receptors and allows pathogens to pass harmlessly through the gut.
- Providing a nutrient source for benevolent bacteria – beneficial intestinal microbes such as Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria can utilise Bio-Mos energy, however pathogens such as Salmonella, E-Coli, Clostridia and Campylobacter cannot.
View BIO-MOS® (PDF, 1.08 MB)
All-Lac is a source of beneficial lactic acid bacteria developed for application with newborn animals. The digestive tract of a calf or lamb is essentially sterile at birth but quickly becomes colonised with both beneficial and pathogenic bacteria. The ratio between these is finely balanced and largely dependent on external factors like the colostrums quality and the environment. All-Lac’s beneficial bacteria:
- Produce lactic acid for a healthy gut
- Help establish a balanced microbial population
- Assist in elimination of pathogens that cause scouring
- Increase resistance to stress
- Maximise digestive efficiency and calf health
Bio-Mos and All-Lac Probiotic work well together as they both support optimal functioning of the digestive tract and both act against pathogenic bacteria.
View ALL-LAC® (PDF, 1.5 MB)
Xtract™ Instant® is a unique combination of natural, microencapsulated essential oils. It is a safe, effective and non-antibiotic growth promoting agent. The concept behind Xtract™ Instant® is three-fold.
- In a similar way to a prebiotic, the Oregano (Carvacrol) stimulates development of the beneficial Lactobacilli through stimulation of volatile fatty acid production. This subsequently reduces development of Entero bacteria, the nasties
- The Cinnamon (Cinnamaldehyde) has direct influence over development of the microvilli in the small intestine and therefore enhances nutrient absorption. It protects the microvilli and digestive mucosa due to its intracellular antioxidant activity
- Red Pepper (Capsaicinoid) is again involved with digestion insofar as stimulating digestive enzyme activity to maximise nutrient uptake from a quality milk powder
Significant trial work has been conducted with Xtract™ in calf milk replacers (Leeds University, UK) and trials show:
- Increased weight gain
- Increased feed conversion efficiency
- Enhanced white meat colour (veal production)
Xtract™ Instant® offers a natural means of enhancing digestive efficiency in the young calf, which ultimately results in enhanced growth rate and improvement in feed conversion efficiency.
View XTRACT™ Instant® (PDF, 307 KB)
Deccox® (decoquinate) is a powerful anticoccidial for calves that works directly in the small intestine, where it effectively halts the development of the two most economically significant coccidia in cattle - Eimeria bovis and Eimeria zuernii. Stopping these internal parasite early and sub-clinically in their 28-day life cycle is key to calf health. Calves MUST have decoquinate in their diet immediately they are weaned from their dam, and milk replacer inclusion is the most reliable, convenient and labour efficient method of administration.
Deccox is also safe to use. In safety trials, even ay over-dosage rates (12.5 x the recommended rate), Deccox® produced no adverse effects on weight gain or feed consumption, nor were there negative histopathological observations.
View Ngahiwi Farms Product Guide (PDF, 3.16 MB)